There are many ways for you to be happy in life. But most of them won’t last you very long.
For example, if your happiness comes from buying shiny new toys or winning the lottery, I have some bad news for you…
It’s probably not going to last.
Happiness that comes from this kind of unsustainable source tends to be unsustainable itself. Of course, you could always keep doing the action that’s bringing you this happiness, but what happens when you’re unable to do it anymore?
Happiness that wears off over time (excitement) is not really the type of happiness most of us want for the long term.
So, what exactly is “long term” happiness then?
When I go a step further and ask what makes them happy. This is when they start listing off things that money can buy them.
Although these things are all real, and they can definitely make you happy, the question is…
“for how long?”
Long term happiness has to be a sustainable kind of happiness. This usually only comes from within.
Being Happy All The Time
No one can stay happy all the time. Even the happiest people in the world have their moments.
If there’s anything I’ve learned over the years, it’s that happiness is an emotional state, and like all emotional states, it’s quite volatile.
Emotions come and go all the time.
It just means that if you want to keep it long-term, you have to get it from a source that’s sustainable, namely yourself.
This kind of happiness really does exist, but you have to stop looking outside of yourself for it.
Happiness from fulfillment
Fulfillment is the secret key to long-term, sustainable happiness.
It’s defined as “satisfaction or happiness as a result of fully developing one’s abilities or character.”
Happiness that comes from fulfillment doesn’t rely on external sources for its existence.
It’s real, and it comes from within.
51 Things You Can do to Feel Fulfilled in Life
Here are 51 ways you can obtain happiness through fulfillment:
1. Pursue your passions.
2. Connect with people that can help you grow as an individual.
3. Prioritize your life.
4. Carry out the small actions that lead to massive results over time.
5. Enjoy your personal journey called “life”.
6. Forgive people and things in your past.
7. Think about how your actions can affect you in the long run.
8. Share your life lessons and experiences with others.
9. Be humble.
10. Be grateful for the things you have.
11. Keep an open mind and avoid generalizing things.
12. Never give up on yourself.
13. Wear clothing that make you feel good about yourself.
14. Accept yourself just the way you are.
15. Take action towards achieving your goals.
16. Practice to be self disciplined.
17. Fill your life with music.
18. Create lots of value for others.
19. Accept the flaws in yourself as well as in others.
20. Practice some form of self expression. (singing, dancing, martial arts, meditation, yoga, etc.)
21. Focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses.
22. See and embrace difficulties as challenges.
23. Set standards for what you will and won’t accept in life.
24. Live in the present moment.
25. Surround yourself with positive-thinking people.
26. Try and discover your life’s purpose.
27. Celebrate your achievements.
28. Create your own definition of success.
29. Travel and see the world.
30. Practice delayed gratification.
31. Volunteer your time to help your community.
32. Create a vision of a better future for yourself.
33. Be honest and truthful with yourself.
34. Eat healthy meals and avoid unnecessary junk foods.
35. Consciously make the right choices.
36. Be good to your body and treat it will.
37. Focus on the things in your life that you can control.
38. Strive and become the best person you can be, in every aspect of your life.
39. Explore your full potential.
40. Understand that life isn’t always going to fair.
41. Be the type of person people can rely on.
42. Take full responsibility for your own life.
43. Be patient.
44. Properly manage your stress levels.
45. Always trust yourself.
46. Create positive success habits.
47. Exercise on a regular basis.
48. Be as authentic as you can.
49. Maintain a positive outlook on life.
50. Care for others as you would care for yourself.
51. Love yourself and love others.
The first and most important thing you have to do in order to be happy is to give yourself permission to be happy.
No matter where you are right now, there’s always things you can do in the present moment that will help increase your happiness and feeling of fulfillment.
Keep in mind that whatever ‘happiness blueprint’ you decide to create for yourself, make sure it’s one where you can win!
I encourage you to share this list with friends and family. Everyone deserves a bit more happiness and fulfillment in their life.